Tuesday, January 02, 2007

New Year's Skiing

Skiing was fantastic this weekend. It dumped about an inch an hour at Sugarbush on Saturday, and there was just enough wind to blow the powder into the scrapes. The snow got better and better through out the day, instead of the usual good skiing until noon, and then carving ice the rest of the day. It was pretty foggy in the afternoon though. At one point I did hear someone yell 'Marco!' while we were coming down the mountain. They literally had to throw us off the mountain at the end of the day.

Sunday was nice and warm, in the 20s, and clear. They had done a great job of grooming the trails that night, and everything was really fast and smooth. I spent most of the day with a guy from the club who used to be a ski instructor, and is still a racer. He got me well tuned up and my skiing was noticeably better by the end of the day.

My new skis and boots were the real heroes of the weekend. After a long weekend like that last year, I would have a hard time walking for two days because my feet would be so beat up. Now my feet feel great, not a single bruise or blister. My new skis are quite a bit longer than last years rentals, so I have to get used to a bit more effort on the turns, but they are more stable and faster by far, and they have a deeper cut so even though I have more ski to pull around the corners, they do want to make those corners all on their own.
I'll get some pictures posted up here soon, so stay tuned.